Saturday, November 04, 2006

New Business?

Now that I'm a stay at home mom, I'm not bringing in the dough like I was before (riiigghhhtt) so Adam and I are thinking of other ways that we could earn a little extra money. One of our ideas is to start a wedding rental business in Lac La Biche and I'd love to get some feedback and see what others think about it, as well as some good ideas (I need some fresh ideas). Since our own wedding in 2003, Adam's mom has been renting out the large pillars that we used in our wedding (made my Adam's dad and brother Owen) and there is a LOT of interest and people are very willing to pay a good amount of money just to rent them out for a day. There is currently no wedding rental business in Lac La Biche, and although there are many, many weddings, everyone rents from the big city, Edmonton, which is more almost 3 hours away. So, why would someone not want to rent from right here in town? Of course, it would take us awhile to build up a good selection, but we would start with tall pillars and lattice and arches and that kind of thing. It would be easy because all I would have to do is answer the phone and make arrangements for certain days and take money from people. I could easily do that during the day, and still be able to stay home with Addison. So, here are my questions for you:

  • Is this a good idea or not?
  • What should the business be called?
  • What are the most important rental items?
  • What would you rent if you were planning a wedding?
  • What would you be willing to pay for the rental of the above items?
  • Any other small business suggestions?

Time is ticking away and we'd like to get going on something, but I just can't seem to get a good start on anything. I need someone to sit down and plan with me and give me some really good ideas - anyone wanting to help? No other big news for now, except that my little (well, not so little, but younger) brother Nathan is engaged!

5 comments:

Mikayla said...

Susanna,
great idea! You should maybe name the business... Yadlowsky Wedding Rentals, I don't know! I e-mail you later. I g2g!!!
*Mikayla*

Stacey said...

I think this is a really good idea... as long as you have it all planned carefully. You don't want to end up with a bunch of rental items just sitting around!

I'm really not sure what kind of name would go over well where you live, so I'll leave that advice to someone else!

The most important rental items in Winkler would be (and I should know, there's been 3 weddings in my family in the past 3 years!) definately arches, somekind of really classic candle holders for table centrepieces (like hurricanes or something), lot's of tuleing (however you spell that!) clear mini lights with white wires, a pretty table with a glass top for signing of the registry, somekind of candleabra in different heights... that's all I can think of right now. Also, if you can find white or ivory fabric really cheap somewhere, buy bolts of it... it looks great draped over simple arches and over pillars and stuff. Some fake trees never hurt either! Maybe I'll see you at NBI next weekend, and I can tell you all my ideas!!

Ellen said...

wow, i think that's an awesome idea! most important.. do you have a market!! which it sounds like you probably do and are there lots of other companies doing the same thing in your area (which you said no) so i think it's a good idea..
"Simply Elegant.. your one stop wedding rental shop.." hehe that's first thing that came to my head.. don't forget to set up contracts so the client knows what they are responsible for and that they have to put up money for deposit.. another idea.. when someone rents your stuff, make sure that you get them to give you pictures of their wedding (reception/ceremony) with the items in use.. keep a photo album and then when a bride comes in to look at your rental items she can see how they look at a real wedding (and can also give her ideas) :) have fun! :)

Anonymous said...

hey guys. that sounds like a really cool idea. for our wedding, we rented the candlabras and the toule, neither of which i'm sure i spelled correctly. but before you start, i'd be sure and research the demographic. i've been told that's important. and maybe talk to some small business owners about the pitfalls and the perks. it's a really exciting idea, though. have fun at alumni.
andrea koop

Stacey said...

It's too bad we didn't get much of a chance to talk at alumni retreat. It was really cool to see you though, and to meet your little man... what a cutie! I hope you're trip home went okay. Sometimes little people don't do so well.