Well, my third attempt at gardening has probably been the most successful yet, and I am very thankful for all the fresh veggies we've been able to eat all summer! I never realized until now just how much better a frest tomato is than one purchased in the store. I have so far made 10 pints and 10 quarts of salsa, but think I would also like to try another batch - anyone have a good recipe out there? I have a good recipe, but wanted to make this next batch a little different for a bit of variety!
8 comments:
Wow! That's awesome! My attempt at a garden last year was terrible! My mom is the master though! Congratulations on being an auntie again! Sorry no recipe
Awesome! I picked about as many green tomatoes as yours from my garden yesterday...we got frost last night :( How do you plan on ripening yours? I was thinking of laying mine on newspaper and covering them with newspaper. I read about that online. I just have to find a spot in the house to do that! hahaha..
I love your pumpkins! I would love to have grown pumpkins. But Dan accidently murdered my plant. Maybe next year :)
As far as salsa goes...I've been really enjoying Fresh salsa (uncooked). It's so tasty. You can only make small amounts at a time but it's so good. I just throw in some tomatoes, peppers, red onion, garlic, oregano, S&P, and lime juice to taste.
This is the recipe I use and we LOVE it!!
Sometimes I make several batches with different heat levels.
12 cups prepared tomatoes (liquid drained off)
2 cups Green Pepper, chopped
2 cups Pureed Onion( or chopped...I don't like onion texture but love the flavor so I puree it!)
4 Jalepeno’s
3 TBSP Garlic chopped
3 TBSP Cilantro
2 TBSP paprika
2TBSP pickling salt
1 Cup Vinegar
11 oz tomatoe paste (2 sm cans)
I cheat when I make salsa... I use the bernardin salsa spice mixes. 15 lbs of tomatoes, a couple green, red and yellow or orange peppers, and garlic. SOOOOO yummy.
Wow!! Looks like you've got the same "problem" I do! :) Too many tomatoes! haha. And I have a good salsa recipe too...but it is not spicy at all...so if you like spicy salsa then this wouldn't be the one for you. :) BUT if you like non-spicy salsa let me know and I'll dig it up and email it to you!
A friend just gave me a recipe for Green Tomato Salsa, and it looks like you have lots of green ones :) Here you go...
2 lbs green tomatoes, cored and chopped
1 lb white or yellow onions, chopped
3/4 lb sweet red peppers, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup vinegar
1 Tbsp salt
4 jalapenos (seeded, cored if you like)
2 Tbsp cilantro (I plan on leaving this out, or doing a bit of parsley instead)
1 tsp cumin (optional)
Combine tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, vinegar, and salt in a large, nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about an hour.
Stir in jalapenos, cilantro, and cumin and simmer for 5 more minutes. Place in hot jars.
Makes 6 quarts.
oooh, I love the recipes, thanks everyone! I want to try them all! Great ideas, thank you!
So I tried the green tomato salsa recipe today. My verdict... it actually only makes 6 cups, once it's all cooked down. I think that must have been a typo. It's also very powerful stuff!!! A ton of flavor, due to all the vinegar and green tomatoes. I would say you could cut down on the vinegar if you don't like it so tart. Otherwise, it was fun to make something with green tomatoes! My next project is trying out some fried green tomatoes.
Post a Comment