Adam & Susanna Yadlowsky and our three little munchkins, Addison,Jaden, and Ethan!
Thursday, January 08, 2009
Stay at home Moms
That's what I am, a stay-at-home-mom. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being a mom and there is so much that I could say about it, but that's not really what I wanted to write about today. With the decision to not go back to work, there is also a cut in income....so, I'm wondering what all my fellow stay-at-home-moms do to help out the family financially. Going back to work is not really an option for me right now, as I want to be the one to raise my own children, not someone else. I've tried home-based businesses and it's just not for me. I've sold Mary Kay, Avon, and Melaleuca - all of which could potentially be very profitable, but I have realized that I just don't have the motivation or desire to really get out there and push people to buy my products, it's just not me. So what other options are there? I want something that I can do at home and doesn't take a lot (or any!) start-up money and doesn't involve selling merchandise to other people. Any ideas? What are all of you doing? It's not that I NEED to be bringing in a second income, but there are times where I would like to contribute in this way as well. Then I could do more guilt-free shopping :) I'd love any suggestions or advice or ideas that you all have!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hi Susanna,
How I think we can contribute as stay at home moms, is by being the ones who can help SAVE money. So we aren't the ones bringing in the money, but we can be the ones that think of different ways to save. Whether it be spending time as a family without spending money and doing something fun, or saving on the shopping bills, or what I've found I've been able to do... I find ways to cut back on expenses in the form of bills. I call every few months to see if a company can offer me a better deal on the services they offer. Telus, for example, changes their stuff so frequently, that you can very often add or subtract something from your bill that saves a bit of money. The same goes for star choice and cellphones. And then recently, I've become more aware of the energy we are using, so I make a consious effort to save that way. In the end it might not be TOO much, but it doesn't cost anything to start and I feel like I'm contributing. :) Hope that helps for an idea.
Well, you could always try doing the whole 'reviews' thing on your blog...you know, where you review products from different companies. It takes time, but no start up cost...in fact very rarely is there any cost. You don't make money though...but you definitely do save money if you get things to review that you'd have to buy anyways (like clothing, shoes for your kids, etc.)...anyways, that's kinda why I do reviews...to help out a bit, even though I don't get actual CASH, I still save money because I get items for free and therefore don't have to go buy them. Orrr, you could think of some sort of handmade item that you could make and sell. Etsy (www.etsy.com) is a great place to create a little shop and sell homemade/handmade things. They do charge a teensy bit though...I think it's 20 cents to list 1 item and when you sell it you have to pay a comission of 3% or something. Anyways, I'm looking into selling my wraps on Etsy right now!
Those are my 2 ideas. :) Good luck!
Hey, I have heard of some Moms doing Medical Transcription work from home. I believe you do a 6 month course over the internet to qualify. Then You recieve tapes from Dr offices(they record information about each patient after each visit. This needs to be put onto paper) And you listen to the tapes, And type out the information. When you are done, just send in the typing and wait for a check! You can do as little or as much as you like, and can do it in your own time like in the evenings or during nap time. If you want more info, just let me know.
Wow, those are some really neat ideas :) For myself, I do a part time home daycare and home business (the party stuff, that you said you don't want to sell). The home business doesn't really make a TON of money, but I do it more for me to get out and meet people than for making me rich (at this point anyway). I find that my home daycare makes a lot more money! I know what you mean about the guiltless shopping - I may do special purchases for the house or myself or kids that I may not regularly buy, but use the money I earned. I also save it for times when we need a bailout, like a safey net :) I watch a brother and sister set for 3 days a week (8:30-4:30) at $35 per child for the first 8 hrs ($5 an hr after that, per child). I am a little more tied down, but I'm at home with my kids too, but you have to weigh the options for yourself :) I know, I wish it was easy to figure it all out, but I guess we have to get creative :)
I really struggle with the thought of going back to work and bringing my kids to a sitter. In the past I was fortunate to be able to work part time while Doug watched the boys. It was nice to have the extra money and to be able to get out of the house for a bit, but it also meant less time with my hubby. Anyway I don't have any new ideas from the ones already mentioned. I know that you would have no problem doing childcare in your home, there always seem to be people looking for someone. I hope that you find something you enjoy.
Well, I'm with Andrea on this one :) And I agree with Karen too. If you can find ways to save in other areas, there might be a little extra to spend when you want to. I actually have fun most weeks, trying to make our grocery budget stretch. I plan all of our meals ahead of time, and only buy exactly what I need.
There are probably other things you can do online as well, but I personally love writing for Glimpse, and also I'm super excited about starting my diaper business. Sorry I'm not much help!
Post a Comment